[svlug] Adding environment variable to a shell and it's subprocesses?

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Fri May 30 14:13:50 PDT 2003

Is there a way under Linux and bash/tcsh to add a environment variable
to a shell that's running noninteractively and to propagate the
variable to it's subprocesses?

Say that I have started a program from within KDE's windowmanager and
that I want this program to recognize that a certain environment
variable has been set that was not set when the user logged in.

Is this possible at all? I wouldnt even mind restarting the app but it
*must* be without starting a terminal/shell/konsole etc.

Any pointers welcome.
Roland