[svlug] SCO hints at harassing Linus himself

John Conover conover at rahul.net
Thu May 29 21:20:22 PDT 2003

The SCO thing adds credibility to Linux, (as if it needed any.) When
you get attacked by your competitor with frivolous legal saber
rattling, its a good PR thing.

It means that Linux has proven itself a viable alternative in the
market-they would not have attacked if it wasn't. Its a threat.

Its just the real world at the top.

Cameron is right, though. We should act with professionalism taking it
in stride and working our way through it.

Its just part of Linux arriving in the big time. Comes with the
territory.

IMHO ...

        John

BTW, *_IF_* SCO/Novell/IBM/et al go to court, it will probably be
tangled up in litigation for many years, unless there is a flagrant IP
violation in the kernel source; I looked, (by turning a search engine
on /usr/src,) and the only thing non-Linux I found was code from
UCB/BSD/UC Regents in the TCP stack-I suppose it came from BSD 4.4
Lite, which is unencumbered as per:

    http://www.daemon.org/bsd-releases/misc/USL-lawsuit
    http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/bsdi/bsdisuit.htm

in the 1994 settlement between BSDI/UC Regents/AT&T, before SysV
Rel. 4 went into its Foster Home era.

--

John Conover, conover at rahul.net, http://www.rahul.net/~conover