[svlug] SCO hints at harassing Linus himself

Bryan K. Watson bwatson at nettracers.com
Thu May 29 20:57:08 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 20:25, James Leone wrote:
> palmerc at gfo.seagate.com wrote:
>
> >Demonizing SCO only makes us look bad. It adds validity to the claims
> >of companies that see Open Source and Linux as a hostile business
> >unfriendly group.
> >

> I agree with this.

And how does it make SCO look when "it"/Darl McBride indicates that
unless more companies license Caldera's Unix intellectual property, "it"
might sue Linus Torvalds, the Linux kernel architect and copyright
holder, for patent infringement? (paraphrased from):
  http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9735

I would say that is a pretty personal attack by McBride.

I have no problem with a company that defends it's intellectual
property.  What I abhor is this "invisible noose" that SCO claims to
have around the necks of the entire Linux community.  Linux has always
been open source, so for SCO to wait years for leaked technology
(unsubstantiated as of yet) to become fully utilized and embedded before
raising a flag is ludicrous!

We are not demonizing SCO, they are doing a fine job of demonizing
themselves.

-Bryan