[svlug] SCO hints at harassing Linus himself

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Thu May 29 12:24:16 PDT 2003

on Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:48:19PM -0700, Ian Kluft (ikluft at thunder.sbay.org) wrote:
> This went up on Slashdot in the past few hours...
>    "SCO Might Sue Linus for Patent Infringement?"
>    http://slashdot.org/articles/03/05/28/2240224.shtml?tid=106&tid=185&tid=187&tid=88
>
> I posted this response...
>    "We haven't yet begun to show our wrath..."
>    http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=65783&cid=6063483
>
> It *really* ticks me off when someone harasses a volunteer.  And if SCO
> considers harassing Linus, that's a line they better not cross.
>
> If they harass Linus, it's going to be time to send protesters to SCO's
> Lindon UT headquarters and bring the media with us.  I'll be the first
> to say I'll be one of them.  Start thinking about whether you have vacation
> time or other arrangements you can make some time in the undetermined near
> future.  Obviously we don't have details yet, but consider what preparations
> you'll need to make.

Brief thoughts.

This might have some press appeal.  It's likely to have little if any
impact on SCO, and would likely be spun (though with doubtful
effectiveness) by SCO as their current "quotes from leaders" page
(mis)quotes free software leaders out of context.

SCO have little if anything to lose.  Well, if they can be tied to
something, there are possible financial or even criminal penalties, but
the likelihood of this is probably low.  But the bad press of a protest
outside their doors isn't likely to change their behavior.  Could have
other positive effects though.

Peace.

    "Yes," said Marvin. "Why stop now just when I'm hating it?"
    -- HHGTG