[svlug] SCO hints at harassing Linus himself

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Thu May 29 12:12:43 PDT 2003

>From: Joe Buck <jbuck at synopsys.com>
>On Wed, May 28, 2003 at 07:48:19PM -0700, Ian Kluft wrote:
>> It *really* ticks me off when someone harasses a volunteer.  And if SCO
>> considers harassing Linus, that's a line they better not cross.
>
>It's all talk.  As Bruce Perens has pointed out, they can't actually
>sue Linus for patent violation because they don't *have* any meaningful
>patents.  They are running a FUD campaign.  They are about to be sued in
>the German courts for it.
>
>At this point, a demonstration against SCO would give them more
>credibility than they deserve.  They are becoming a joke, especially since
>the Novell announcement.  The proper response is to laugh at them.

Let's clear up where we'll draw the line.  It doesn't matter whether a
suit is possible.  They're trying to make a problem of themselves where
they think they can get their perception of good PR.  We're establishing
deterrent against harassing individual volunteers.  If they engage in any
form of harassment against Linus (or any individual volunteer), then it's
personal and we'll make our wrath felt in Utah.