[svlug] SCO hints at harassing Linus himself

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Wed May 28 19:48:19 PDT 2003

This went up on Slashdot in the past few hours...
   "SCO Might Sue Linus for Patent Infringement?"
   http://slashdot.org/articles/03/05/28/2240224.shtml?tid=106&tid=185&tid=187&tid=88

I posted this response...
   "We haven't yet begun to show our wrath..."
   http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=65783&cid=6063483

It *really* ticks me off when someone harasses a volunteer.  And if SCO
considers harassing Linus, that's a line they better not cross.

If they harass Linus, it's going to be time to send protesters to SCO's
Lindon UT headquarters and bring the media with us.  I'll be the first
to say I'll be one of them.  Start thinking about whether you have vacation
time or other arrangements you can make some time in the undetermined near
future.  Obviously we don't have details yet, but consider what preparations
you'll need to make.

It's a 2-hour non-stop airlines flight from any Bay Area airport.  (SLC is
a Delta Airlines hub - they have the direct flights.)  Or a 14-hour drive
including stops.

We should also re-confirm whether they moved everything out of Santa Cruz.

Remember, SVLUG does peaceful protests.  But our history shows the pressure
applied by these protests gets noticed by the people we intend.  (The media
like the pictures.  Yet the police always seem to get bored by our civilized
behavior.  Let's keep up that reputation.)  Previous examples included Adobe
("Free Sklyarov" protest 2001) and Microsoft ("Halloween Documents" protest
1998, Windows Refund Day 1999.)  Though this would be coordinated with other
LUGs whose members come from around the continent, SVLUG has useful
experience to contribute to the effort.

In preparation for potential travel and protests, does anyone have contacts
with the LUGs in Salt Lake?  If not, we can introduce ourselves.