[svlug] Suse-8.2 permissions of /dev/dri/card*

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue May 27 16:06:36 PDT 2003

Hey folks,
I've installed Suse-8.2 and so far one of the two problems I am having
is that the permissions to /dev/dri/card* are set to

crw-rw----    1 root     video    226,   0 2003-05-23 17:38 card0
crw-rw----    1 root     video    226,   1 2003-03-14 05:08 card1

but I do need rw permission for world access (NIS managed network, no
group video and we dont want one either).

After chmodding the thing it works fine until the X-server restarts and
the permissions are reset.

So I figure the culprit is either the radeon or the videodev module,
but I have no idea how to investigate this further.

The box is a Dell Optiplex G260, the card is a ATI Radeon VE.

Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks,
Roland
PS: This is really a very, very nice distribution.