[svlug] mbox v. maildir wrt backups and fragmentation...

Drew Bertola drew at drewb.com
Tue May 27 14:12:49 PDT 2003

I was thinking about maildir with respect to backing up via rsync.  I
remember reading that the downside to maildir was the slowness caused by
so many files needing to be opened.

Is that the only downside?

Are there server and client specific limitations?

What are other current pros/cons on maildir v. mbox?

What about fragmentation issues on a large (> 100GB) spool partition?
Considering the number of files that would be constantly written and
deleted, are there better of worse filesystems and partitioning
strategies?

--
| Drew Bertola                   Tel: 408-746-3800 |