[svlug] netout: Connection reset by peer

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Tue May 27 11:30:23 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 09:10:48AM -0700, Bill Schoolcraft wrote:
> Hello Family,
>
> I'm in an environment where we have to use FTP and I'm getting
> the first few megs of a large binary file trasferred and then I
> get the error:
>
> netout: Connection reset by peer

I would check the number of routers in between, maybe the latency makes
the server disconnect too early.

What happens if you try at different time of the day/night?

> The other side is a mainframe and I was wondering if there are
> any pointers to troubleshooting this.
>
> http://google.com/linux  didn't have much on this, two hits. Three were
> dead links.
>
> http://google.com/bsd had two links to this error.
>
> Thanks.

Short of having access to the mainframe logs I would try different FTP
clients: ftp, ncftp, lynx, Netscape/Mozilla, Konqueror. If all that
works on the internet (say downloading linux kernel) but fails for that
particular site then you have a case to go after the mainframe guys and
ask what the heck is going on there ;-)

> --
> Bill Schoolcraft
> PO Box 210076                 -o)