[svlug] Re: dual boot, new dell laptop.

George Georgalis georgw at galis.org
Sun May 25 14:53:58 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 05:57:49PM -0400, Sunny Dubey wrote:
>On Thursday 15 May 2003 08:58 pm, George Georgalis wrote:
>> I'm setting up a new laptop and introducing linux to a friend... (who
>> doesn't speak much English and hasn't used computers before BTW)
>>
>> Last time I setup a laptop, I just deleted the "D:" partition and
>> installed linux there. This baby has XP installed on one NTFS
>> partition. Doh! The only practical way I can think of to deal with it is
>> fips or something like it, but does it work on NTFS?
>
>There is ntfsresize somewhere out there.  It supposedly works just dandy, do
>have the product recovery CD with you if something goes wrong.
>
>Also be careful not to wipe the S2D partition.  You'll need it for hardware
>suspend.

Installing Linux on the Dell Inspiron 1100

Not easy

The knoppix cd got sound and x up but not integrated networking.  I
think I'll need a new kernel to get x going under debian.

I've been using a pcmcia nic....  Can't find the module for the
integrated network interface in the 2.4.20 kernel, knoppix or debian. On
some website it says 'just insmod bcm4401' maybe it's in 2.5.x

I used ntfsresize on the knoppix cd to free up 14Gb from the 30Gb
disk, the XP install has files in the middle of the disk which prevent
allocating more space for linux in a dual boot. (I preserved the small
BIOS partition at the beginning of the drive.) hopefully the laptop owner
will allow deleting the entire XP partition when everything works.

Progress will be posted at http://galis.org/doc/dell.inspiron.1100.html
for now just the output of these commands are there:

(set -x ;uname -a; cat /etc/debian_version ;dmesg ;lspci;cat /proc/interrupts ; cat /proc/devices; fdisk -l /dev/hda ; fdisk -l /dev/hdc ;cat /usr/src/knoppix-kernel.README ;cat /usr/src/linux/.config ; cat /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 ; cat /usr/sbin/mkxf86config ;cat /etc/sysconfig/xserver ;cat /etc/sysconfig/knoppix ) &> dell.inspiron.1100

(note: the kernel oops in dmesg was from attempting to cat /proc/ioports)

Anybody who has info, please send it my way!

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george at galis.org
Multimedia, DB, DNS and Metrics.       http://www.galis.org/george