[svlug] IPV4 Subnetting

Scott Hess scott at doubleu.com
Fri May 23 17:54:27 PDT 2003

My only gripe, more of a pet peeve, really, is that your very first
example of "2^N - 2" uses N=2, so you get 2^2 - 2 = 2.  This class of
example can be confusing, because some students won't be concious of the
fact that 2+2 == 2*2 == 2^2, so they'll merrily go ahead and work out the
next problem using their broken assumption, and then be totally wrong.
Better to use something bigger, like 7 or 5.  2^5 - 2 = 30 is unambiguous
all around.

[2^3 - 2 is still a little ambiguous, as 2*3 also drops out 6.  2^4 - 2 is
probably alright, though.  I just like when the example has all numbers
with no distracting natural relationships, such as 2, 5, and 30.]

Later,
scott