[svlug] IPV4 Subnetting

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Fri May 23 12:43:45 PDT 2003

>From: Penguin Power <secure at realns.com>
>I am trying to get ccna certified and im trying to understand the concepts
>of subnetting class A,B,C networks to divide the network into segments. I
>am trying to figure out what the easiest method of understanding it. I am stumped, is there
>anybody out there who has a very easy way of doing it? I need a good
>teacher :(

Bits are bits.  It's all bits.  Just like everything else.

But seriously... Google can be a great way to find stuff you wan to learn.
   http://www.google.com/search?q=ip%20subnetting
   http://www.google.com/search?q=ip%20ipv4%20subnetting

Here are some samples it found...

   IP Address Subnetting Tutorial
   http://www.ralphb.net/IPSubnet/

   IP Addressing Architecture
   http://www2.rad.com/networks/1994/ip_addr/tcpip2.htm

   IP Subnetting
   http://www.globaldisarray.org/ip_subnetting1.html

   TCP/IP Configuration Files
   (see "what is subnetting" down the page)
   http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-0916/6ja85399o?a=view

And since you're studying for a Cisco certification, Cisco's web site would
be a relevant source too.
   http://www.cisco.com/pcgi-bin/search/search.pl?searchPhrase=subnetting

In particular...
   IP Addressing and Subnetting for New Users