[svlug] Sound is broken

Tim tim at tetro.net
Wed May 21 03:03:28 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 12:20:50AM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:
> Just for the hell of it, you could check jobs.symantec.com and see if
> there is anything even remotely applicable. If so, send your resume to
> ********@symantec.com and I'll forward it along.

Thanks much.  The jobs server apparently down temporarily.  I'll try
later.  I'm afraid I won't find any positions I'd qualify for.  I
haven't yet finished earning my associate degree, and all of my
experience was gained at home, exploring the wonders of computers and
the Internet.

Without anything more quantifiable, I'm probably stuck stocking shelves,
selling shoes, or moving furniture (those sum up my work experience).  I
spent the last of my savings on a laptop and two Sun Solaris 8 System
Admin exams.  The certification hasn't paid off yet.  Maybe I should
have gotten a Linux cert.  Maybe it would have helped me get one of
those Datacenter Technician jobs at Google that Marc posted a while ago.
I thought I was perfect for it, but the reply said I wasn't a "strong
match".  Experience at home must not count for "equivalent experience".
Sigh.

Ok.. I've said too much already about all that.

> I did notice that it was booting linux.orig not linux, as you pointed
> out. I was trying to boot linux, but ran into an initrd
> problem. Initrd has bitten my butt before.

You only really need an initial ramdisk image if you need to load any
modules before the root filesystem is mounted.  And you probably
shouldn't use an initrd from another kernel version.

If you find you need an initrd (but I don't think you do), there are a
few instructions for creating one in the Kernel-HOWTO:
  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/create_initrd.html

> > When building a custom kernel, it is a good idea to add something after
> > the version to set it appart from the default.  You do this by editing
> > 'Makefile' before running make, setting the value of 'EXTRAVERSION' to
> > something unique.  That tip and others can be found in the Kernel-HOWTO:
>
> I don't know if that's the problem I had changed EXTRAVERSION TO
> -10custom

That's good..

> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           15 May  4 02:29 2.4.7-10 ->2.4.7-10custom/

..but that symlink is not.  When 2.4.7-10 boots, it will use the modules
in /lib/modules/2.4.7-10.  When 2.4.7-10custom boots, it will use the
modules in /lib/modules/2.4.7-10custom.  You shouldn't have to backup,
mv, or ln anything in /lib/modules since you used a unique EXTRAVERSION.

I don't know if this'll help, it looks like you've already done all
this, but here is basically what I would do back when I used RedHat and
RedHat-ish distributions (now I use Debian's make-kpkg, which makes this
process a lot easier):

# unpack
cd /usr/src/
tar zxf ~/download/linux-2.4.18.tar.gz
cd linux-2.4.18/
# EXTRAVERSION = -cust-1.0
vi Makefile
# config stuff
make menuconfig
# compile kernel
make dep && make bzImage
# install kernel
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.4.18-cust-1.0
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-cust-1.0
# compile and install modules
make modules && make modules_install
# add image entry for vmlinuz-2.4.18-cust-1.0, without the initrd, and
# set it as the default image.
vi /etc/lilo.conf
lilo
reboot

   - Tim

P.S.  I hope you don't mind me CC'ing the list.