[svlug] Sound is broken

Tim tim at tetro.net
Mon May 19 21:25:27 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 19, 2003 at 02:07:55PM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:
> Tim,
>
> Thanks for all the help.

No problem.  I suppose I should have been out job hunting, but I'm not
looking forward to another day of, "I'm sorry, we're not hiring right
now, but you can fill out an application if you like."

> I know that there are also various things that you need to run a
> startup script with restart to get them to work. But you have to know
> which startup script and I didn't see anything in /etc/init.d that
> looked like a good candidate.

There isn't normally anything in the init scripts for sound unless
you're using ALSA.  Maybe there would be a script to load/save the mixer
settings with aumix, but in your case, your modules.conf is doing that
for you.

I looked at your .config, and I've found something that just might be
the problem.. CONFIG_SOUND_OSS was compiled as a module, sound.o
according to the kernel config help for that option, but there is no
'sound' module listed in the proc.modules file you provided.  Maybe it
is a dependency problem with 2.4.7-10.  I have a machine running 2.4.18
that I use emu10k1 on, and it lists sound.o as a dependency for emu10k1
in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/modules.dep.  Also the module ac97_codec is a
dependency of emu10k1, and I don't see that loaded either.

Then again.. I'm now looking at proc.version and it seems that the
current kernel you're running is the default one provided by RedHat.
You might have installed your custom kernel's modules over the top of
the RedHat-provided ones, while still booting the old RedHat-provided
kernel.  Where was the custom kernel you compiled installed?  /vmlinuz?
Right now your lilo.conf is set up to boot /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 by
default.

When building a custom kernel, it is a good idea to add something after
the version to set it appart from the default.  You do this by editing
'Makefile' before running make, setting the value of 'EXTRAVERSION' to
something unique.  That tip and others can be found in the Kernel-HOWTO:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO/quick_steps.html#impatient

..though I don't like how they tell you to run make bzImage in the
background and then run make modules in the background at the same
time.  It just seems to me like they might step on each others toes.

Where did you get the kernel source that you compiled your custom kernel
from?  A kernel-source-2.4.7-10 RPM package or a tar.gz/tar.bz2 from
kernel.org?

What dirs do you have under /lib/modules?  Is it just 2.4.7-10
(indicating that you overwrote the RedHat-provided modules), or is it
2.4.7 and 2.4.7-10 (which would probably be a good sign)?

   - Tim