[svlug] ext2 mount options on 1394 drive

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 17 15:07:43 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 17, 2003 at 01:29:44AM -0700, David Hummel wrote:
> Thanks Aaron, I tried the uid/gid options to no avail.  I'm not sure if
> they're valid options for ext2.

They shouldn't be.  VFAT filesystems have no concept of file ownership
or permissions.  That's why you can't chown VFAT files.

Under ext2, permissions and ownership are stored in the filesystem
itself.  If you want to be able to write to a directory, you need write
permission on the directory itself, not the filesystem as a whole.

> I'd just like to be able to script the entire backup process
> (mount -> rsync -> umount) without being root.

Try this:
# mkdir /mnt/exthd2/backup
# chmod 1777 /mnt/exthd2/backup

Then do the rsync as whatever user you want, and rsync to the backup
directory.

Alternately, you could chown the backup dir to you, or just change
permissions/ownership of the root directory of the filesystem itself.

Does that make sense?

-rick