[svlug] ext2 mount options on 1394 drive

David Hummel ddhummel at pacbell.net
Fri May 16 13:11:18 PDT 2003

Hello,

I've got a nifty little external firewire/usb2 2.5" harddrive enclosure
that I've been using for backups with rsync, and lines in /etc/fstab
like so:

/dev/sda1      /mnt/exthd1      vfat    noauto,user,rw  0 0
/dev/sda2      /mnt/exthd2      ext2    noauto,user,rw  0 0

When I mount the vfat partition, /mnt/exthd1 is temporarily chown'ed to
my user name and chmod'ed to 775 during the mount.  I thought this was
controlled by the 'user' mount option.  However, this is not happening
when I mount the ext2 partition.  I can mount the drive, but /mnt/exthd2
is still owned by root and 755, which means I can't write to it.

Is there an ext2-specific mount option I am missing for this setup?

Thanks,

David Hummel
Genomics & Gene Discovery
WRRC/ARS/USDA