[svlug] help configuring cups

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Mon May 12 12:34:10 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 02:50:17AM -0700, Matt Billenstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are a couple of laser printers at work that I can print to from a sun
> box using lpr or lp.  All I really know about them is their IP address and
> make/model.  How would I go about setting them up in cups?  I've tried

Which distro of Linux?

I successfully used /usr/sbin/printconf-gui with RH9.0
to setup 2 printers, HP 4050 and HP 4500 color laser.

which created
zebra:
cameleon:

in /etc/printcap
and

<DefaultPrinter zebra>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
DeviceURI lpd://zebra/lp
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>
<Printer cameleon>
Info Created by redhat-config-printer 0.6.x
DeviceURI lpd://cameleon/lp
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

in /etc/cups/printers.conf

If nothing else try selecting generic postscript printers which usually
works.

Not strictly related, I wonder why is it necessary to use yet another
configuration file format for cups? So now we have configuration files
using syntax in "C style", syslogd special, BIND special, Samba
special (WINDOWS.INI style), html format, bash special, pxe.conf,
sysctl.conf, etc.

There are many variations on the above mentioned configuration files of
course. Some are with spaces around "=" sign, others are not, there are
":", "tabs" etc. For more fun, file name extension have to be different
of course to make sure that simple 'tar etc_conf.tar /etc/*.conf' would
not work.

Try that a with different distribution and another bucket of warms
creeps out.

No wonder some people ["hate"={don't get it}] Unix/GNU Linux.

I hate it from that perspective too. Can't we standardize on this once
and for all so that scripts or GUI tools could be simplified? Changes to
those files could be tracked better for security reasons also. Why not
use logic instead of nonsense ego trips of some developers? We don't
have an authority to cleanup this mess, that's why. Thanks God we have
the authority for the kernel.

Is that what RHCE, i.e. knowing what the file syntaxes and such crap is
all about?

I ranted on this before, not that it made any difference. RedHat and
others don't give a damn to improve their product to keep raking in
service calls I guess.

--
Rafael