[svlug] My computers give each other the silent treatment

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Sun May 11 23:02:18 PDT 2003

>From: Scott Thompson <scott_thompson at earthlink.net>
>My original email was rather lean on information about my problem.   It
>is restated here with more detail.
>
>In summary, both machines used to talk to each other, now they don't.
>The  only thing that changed was I Installed Apache(1.3.26) and
>PHP(4.1.2) on the Linux machine so I could do some web development.
>
>I get the following error message on my Linux Machine:
><snip>
>.
>NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmission timed out
>eth0: Transmission timed out, status 02261000, CSR12 00000030,\
>resetting...

Scott -

I didn't see anyone else answer after you provided the extra details.
I don't have a direct answer either.  But since I asked you to provide
those details, I'll mention what came to mind in case it gives you
anything to check that you hadn't already tried.  Sorry that it took
several days - things got very busy at work on Thursday (I got back
home Friday at 6AM.)  All weekend I've been working on house
maintenance stuff.  And now I'm finally getting around to installing
the router for my new ADSL line to upgrade from IDSL.  So that's why
I "disappeared" after asking for more info.

In the case of any network link that goes down, you need to check
both sides of the link.  One assumption I think I noticed is that
since Linux reported the error, that it must be Linux's fault.
Maybe it is.  Or maybe Windoze isn't reporting something on the other
end.  But since Linux only reported a link timeout, don't forget
to check the Windoze box too.  If you have anything else that runs
ethernet, such as a laptop, it'll help you narrow down which machine
really is the one that isn't talking.

At this point, I don't think you've narrowed it down yet to hardware
or software failure on either end of the line.  Since it happenned
suddenly, if you didn't do anything else to change the configuration
(including installing or uninstalling any software on the Windoze box,
which could upset the balance of its set of DLLs), then don't rule
out a hardware failure.  It can happen.

Like I mentioned earlier, before swapping any expensive hardware, try
the cheap and easy stuff first like the Cat5 cable.  If you have a spare
ethernet card of the same kind, you could try swapping it out on either
of the machines to narrow that down.  Keep trying and testing any
scenarios that come to mind.

If it is indeed a driver problem on Linux as you suspected from your
Google search, I'd be curious why it didn't manifest itself when you
installed the machine.  Think about whether you changed anything on
the system which could plausibly have triggered the error.  Then see
if you can undo it, at least temporarily to test the hypothesis.
But you made no changes, then I wouldn't put as high a priority on
that theory.

Sorry - it isn't a solution.  Hopefully, it helps either provide a method
to go about the problem - or confirms that you're looking for it the
right way already.