[svlug] ATI 8500DV and GATOS setup

Tim tim at tetro.net
Fri May 9 15:25:18 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 12:59:31PM +0000, Ryan Joseph wrote:
> I'm using XFree 4.3.0, and the gentoo-packaged ati-gatos drivers.

I don't know if this is what Gentoo 1.4rc4 has, but according to this:

  http://cvs.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/gentoo-x86/media-video/ati-gatos/ChangeLog

the ati-gatos Gentoo package is from the Gatos release for XFree86
4.2.0, experimental release 11, which is a bit old, and not meant for
the version of XFree86 you're using.

> compiled and installed the drm kernel module from the ati-gatos website
> and have that loaded.

Which drm-kernel version did you install?  Did you install the Gatos
'km' (the kernel module that does the V4L stuff)?  Which version?

Looking at the latest Gatos releases, here:

I think you should install these three:

  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gatos/ATI-4.3.0-9.i386.tar.gz?download
  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gatos/drm-kernel-1.100.0-9.tar.gz?download
  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gatos/km-0.2.1.tgz?download

But first maybe you should uninstall that ati-gatos Gentoo package.

I hope that helps.

   - Tim