[svlug] My computers give each other the silent treatment

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Thu May 8 12:37:09 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 09:40:06PM -0700, Scott Thompson wrote:
> This is slightly off topic from Linux, but still...
>
> I have a Debain Linux machine and a windows 2000 machine that are
> networked.  Lately, they refuse to talk.  I have been getting the
> following error message at my Linux box:

Refuse to talk what? TCP, NetBIOS?
Have you made any changes lately? Are you using DHCP or static net
config? Using firewall perhaps?

Check physical connections to make sure you have a link (see lights on
the hub and/or ethernet interface, run tcpdump on Linux box to see if
there is any traffic from another machine while you are trying to ping.
Try to ping both ways. Beyond that it's hard to say. Reboot you
know which machine. Check config on both machines.

On linux you can also try mii-tool to manipulate or monitor interface
card.

> <snip>
> NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmission timed out

Which machine?

--
Rafael