[svlug] My computers give each other the silent treatment

Ian Kluft ikluft at thunder.sbay.org
Thu May 8 11:49:28 PDT 2003

>From: Scott Thompson <scott_thompson at earthlink.net>
>This is slightly off topic from Linux, but still...
>
>I have a Debain Linux machine and a windows 2000 machine that are
>networked.  Lately, they refuse to talk.  I have been getting the
>following error message at my Linux box:
>
><snip>
>NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmission timed out
>eth0: Transmission timed out, status 02261000, CSR12 00000030,\
>resetting...
></snip>
>
>'ifconfig eth0' shows the card up and functioning
>
>Win2K shows it's card up and functioning.
>
>Any ideas?

If you don't include relevant info for troubleshooting, no one can even
begin to help.  For example: Linux kernel version (uname -v), ethernet card
type, ethernet card driver version number (if applicable) and any other
specifics of your system that might help someone narrow down the problem.

I noticed that if you enter the error message into Google, it comes up
with a lot of results.  If any of them apply to your card, you may have
an answer there already.  But you didn't tell us what card you're using...

Since things had been working before, don't forget to try the simple things
like replacing your Cat5 ethernet cable in case it went bad (i.e. got
stepped on, etc.)