[svlug] Re: congo font... RH? openoffice? staroffice?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 7 13:48:30 PDT 2003

on Wed, May 07, 2003 at 01:35:44PM -0400, George Georgalis (georgw at galis.org) wrote:
> On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:54:36PM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> >on Thu, May 01, 2003 at 10:24:16AM -0400, George Georgalis (georgw at galis.org) wrote:
> >> At some point (running RH, or star office) I created a doc with the
> >> Congo font.  Now I don't have that font on my system, I extracted many RH
> >> rpms but could not find it. What package did the congo font come from,
> >> how can I get it on my system?
> >
> >Likely a third party fonts collection.  There are numerous font sites
> >online, you might try searching these (the top three Google sites didn't
> >match "congo" as a keyword search).
> >
> >Barring that, I'd suggest changing fonts in your document, OR, first
> >preference, switching to use of a stylesheet so that you don't get stuck
> >with this problem in the future.  Your stylesheet should specify locally
> >available fonts, with sane default fallback values.
>
> How do you mean stylesheets to avoid the problem? Can fonts be placed
> in stylesheets? Err, now I get your meaning. I think it is already
> covered with the openoffice drawing file format: though the font is
> still identified as Congo in the application font selector, it has been
> substitute ed with helvetica. Which is closest.

The basic principle of stylesheets is:

  - Document contains content, and structural / contextual descriptions
    (title, author, body, emphasized text, etc.).

  - Stylesheet contains _presentational_ information.  Titles are Arial
    Bold 18 point, centered.  Body is garamond 14.  Etc.

If you find yourself with a font that's not supported in a particular
circumstance, you change it once in the stylesheet rather than 5,000
times in the document itself.

Peace.

    Reform three-strikes:  stop jailing nonviolent offenders.
    http://www.amend3strikes.org/