[svlug] choosing a linux cam

James Leone linuxcpa at netscape.net
Wed May 7 13:17:46 PDT 2003

georgw at galis.org wrote:

>I've heard the '3com' usb video cameras are compatible and work well
>with linux.  Unfortunatly I thought these where the <$50 variety I saw
>in stores, not the $200 ones referenced here:
>
>http://www.ionetworks.com/products/watchportv.html
>http://homeconnectusb.sourceforge.net/
>
>I'm looking for a camera for realtime image processing, nothing fancy,
>it will be used to determine when someone is standing in front of it,
>so one of those $50 (or less) jobs should do the trick. What do you
>recommend?  Maybe this kind of software is written already?
>
>// George

Hi George,

I can tell you what I know, but that's about it.  If you are talking
about web cams then I have a few answers, because I have tested them.

Prior to acquiring SuSE Linux 8.2, I would have said that the only web
cam I can rely upon working is a generic Xirlink web cam sold at Compusa
for $20. Recent visits to my local Compusa show me that they are sold
out. The Xirlink webcam was sold as an IBM netcamera as well as an
ezonics camea at one point. To use the generic xirlink camera, I would
modprobe ibmcam. I had very limited sucess with the Logitech prior to
SuSE 8.2, and that was using a driver made by someone that handles the
camera on the qc-ga mailing list.

Since I used SuSE Linux 8.2, I can now plug in my generic Xirlink or
Logitech Quickcam Express into the usb port, start xawtv, and enjoy the
camera immediately. No fuss, no muss.

That's all I really know.

James Leone