[svlug] Donating computers to Africa: Comment

Sanatan Rai sanat at stanford.edu
Sun May 4 22:10:13 PDT 2003

Hello everyone:
	Just been reading:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2989567.stm

Seems to me that the real problem here is that the computers are running
Windows.

This is a bit surprising because I can tell from personal experience that
Linux/Unix are the platforms of choice in the universities in the so
called `third-world' countries.

So my question is: what are people's observatiosn concerning the use of
Linux/Unix in the school classroom here? I mean as a regular tool, and not
just a curiosity?

--Sanatan

Sanatan Rai,                      | E.-mail: sanat at stanford.edu
Dept. of Management Sc. & Engg.   | Home: 100 N. Whisman Road 4316,
Stanford University,              |       Mountain View, Ca 94043.
Stanford, Ca 94305.               | 'phone: (650) 964 0220 (R)
EMail: sanat at stanford.edu                   (650) 736 2109 (O)