[svlug] Re: mutt/procmail/nfs

George Georgalis georgw at galis.org
Sat May 3 10:47:46 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 08:34:41AM -0700, ryukitu at sbcglobal.net wrote:
>On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:28:20PM -0700,
>matt at vazor.com wrote:
>
>> I setup a .procmailrc yesterday to filter my email into different mutt mbox
>> files using cats2procmailrc (see freshmeat).  Now it seems like I'm losing
>> messages and some messages are getting cut off when they're getting written in
>> the the mbox.  Everything is over NFS so maybe that has something to do with
>> it?  I'm a little lost.
>
>I'm not sure, but if NFS really matters, why don't you use Maildir
>rather than mbox ? Both procmail and mutt can handle Maildir well.

Yes NFS matters. Maildir was developed because mbox over NFS is
unreliable.

Quote from http://cr.yp.to/qmail.html

  Reliable: qmail's straight-paper-path philosophy guarantees that a
  message, once accepted into the system, will never be lost. qmail
  also optionally supports maildir, a new, super-reliable user mailbox
  format. Maildirs, unlike mbox files and mh folders, won't be corrupted
  if the system crashes during delivery. Even better, not only can a
  user safely read his mail over NFS, but any number of NFS clients can
  deliver mail to him at the same time.

See also http://cr.yp.to/proto/maildir.html

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 646-331-2027
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george at galis.org
Multimedia, DB, DNS and Metrics.       http://www.galis.org/george