[svlug] SIS 650 chipset experiences/configs?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 31 18:18:24 PST 2003

on Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 04:26:30PM -0800, Tim (tim at tetro.net) wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:05:26AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > I've purchased a Mocha P4 system from CappuccinoPC
> > (http://www.cappuccinopc.com/), and am wrestling with getting Debian
> > onto the beast.
> >
> > Even Knoppix failed to configure the NICs and Winmodem -- it only
> > managed to get PCMCIA working (this on the 8-18-2002 Knoppix release,
> > Jan 30 2003 has bugs in PCMCIA config).  X11 runs well, though I'm not
> > sure if it's framebuffer or not (how do I check this?).
>
> Check the Driver line in the "Device" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
> maybe.  I think it'll say either 'sis' (if there is accelerated
> support), or 'vesa' otherwise.

Knoppix reports 'vesa'.  However it may be using framebuffer.  I'm not
quite sure here.

> > I'm having problems with both NICs, the Winmodem, and X11 config.
> >
> > I've posted a summary of the system configuration to:
> >
> >     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/superego-system-info.txt
>
> >From grep'ing around in kernel version 2.4.21-pre4 source, I found:
>
>   - The Intel ethernet controller is an "82540EM Gigabit Ethernet
>     Controller", and apparently supported by the e1000 driver.  I don't
>     know what kernel version first featured this driver.  I see it in
>     2.4.20, but not in 2.4.18.  I don't have any other versions handy at
>     the moment.
>
>   - The VGA controller is a SiS 650, and apparently XFree86 has
>     accelerated support as of version 4.3.0.

Problems I'm getting are reported here:

    http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=92643

Essentially:

    Setting 100mbps half-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 40a1
    eth0: transmit timed out

...and no working net...

> As for the RTL-8139 ethernet controller.. it looks like there are lots
> of different cards with the same 0x8139 PCI ID.  There are two drivers
> for them: 8139cp and 8139too.  In 8139cp.c, I see a check for a revision
> less than 0x20, and if true, it prints a message about trying the
> 8139too driver instead.  So, given that, I guess 8139too is the right
> driver for you.  It looks like it is loaded already, too.  What happens
> when you try to ifconfig eth0 up?

See above.

> And the WinModem.. found this using Google:
>    http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/viewdetails.php?id_no=2
> That site (http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/) has some links to the
> driver and a HOWTO.  I don't know if Knoppix comes with it or not, but
> the COPYING file with the driver is the GNU GPL, so I guess it could.
>
> I wonder why the dmesg output was blank.  It might have contained some
> useful information.

Knoppix doesn't log its dmesg output and the buffer was flushed with
other stuff by the time I got to it....