[svlug] SIS 650 chipset experiences/configs?

Tim tim at tetro.net
Mon Mar 31 16:26:30 PST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 12:05:26AM +0100, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> I've purchased a Mocha P4 system from CappuccinoPC
> (http://www.cappuccinopc.com/), and am wrestling with getting Debian
> onto the beast.
>
> Even Knoppix failed to configure the NICs and Winmodem -- it only
> managed to get PCMCIA working (this on the 8-18-2002 Knoppix release,
> Jan 30 2003 has bugs in PCMCIA config).  X11 runs well, though I'm not
> sure if it's framebuffer or not (how do I check this?).

Check the Driver line in the "Device" section of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4
maybe.  I think it'll say either 'sis' (if there is accelerated
support), or 'vesa' otherwise.

> I'm having problems with both NICs, the Winmodem, and X11 config.
>
> I've posted a summary of the system configuration to:
>
>     http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Download/superego-system-info.txt

>From grep'ing around in kernel version 2.4.21-pre4 source, I found:

  - The Intel ethernet controller is an "82540EM Gigabit Ethernet
    Controller", and apparently supported by the e1000 driver.  I don't
    know what kernel version first featured this driver.  I see it in
    2.4.20, but not in 2.4.18.  I don't have any other versions handy at
    the moment.

  - The VGA controller is a SiS 650, and apparently XFree86 has
    accelerated support as of version 4.3.0.

As for the RTL-8139 ethernet controller.. it looks like there are lots
of different cards with the same 0x8139 PCI ID.  There are two drivers
for them: 8139cp and 8139too.  In 8139cp.c, I see a check for a revision
less than 0x20, and if true, it prints a message about trying the
8139too driver instead.  So, given that, I guess 8139too is the right
driver for you.  It looks like it is loaded already, too.  What happens
when you try to ifconfig eth0 up?

And the WinModem.. found this using Google:
   http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/viewdetails.php?id_no=2
That site (http://pctelcompdb.sourceforge.net/) has some links to the
driver and a HOWTO.  I don't know if Knoppix comes with it or not, but
the COPYING file with the driver is the GNU GPL, so I guess it could.

I wonder why the dmesg output was blank.  It might have contained some
useful information.

Hope that helps.

   - Tim