[svlug] stress test hard drive?

Justin Ryan justin at gnubia.net
Mon Mar 31 14:15:44 PST 2003

Sorry for the terribly late reply, but..

What kind of laptop is this?  What kind of drive?  I had a Dell Inspiron
5000e with this same problem, and it turned out that the cheesy Hitachi
drives they were using did not like being used in combination with udma
in linux.  I would have hundreds upon hundreds of seek errors in my
dmesg log, but as soon as I turned off dma, they went away.  Fortunately
for me, this happened after Dell replaced my 5000e with a much nicer
8100 ;p

FWIW, to disable dma, execute:

hdparm -d 0 /dev/hda

The drive will not be quite as fast, but if you average access times
over the time period where the disk is unavailable because it's dead and
being replaced, it's probably worth it.  I went through ~6 disks myself.

Cheers,

-j