[svlug] Re: using linux in schools

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Mon Mar 31 13:37:38 PST 2003

Quoting Bill Kendrick, from the post of Mon, 31 Mar:
> Uh... Perl _itself_ is kinda cryptic! :^/  I'd kinda hate to see a 6
> year old trying to grok Perl.  (Then again, if they did, watch out
> when they get older!)
>
> Hrm.  Tk doesn't seem quite as 'fun' as SDL. ;^)  Not that I've played
> with it much...

uhhh!! have some mercy on the little tykes. start them out with python
or even logo. perl is for smartasses that mastered "normal" programming
languages and want to go nuts with Mr. wall's experiments in syntax
chaos. it's one of the WORST ideas to teach it as a first language,
infact it's liable to drive kids away from the computer screeming, or at
the other extreme have them acquire some bad coding habbits. it's not a
first language by any standard if you ask me.