[svlug] using linux in schools

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Mar 31 13:28:53 PST 2003

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 01:16:31PM -0800, William R Ward wrote:
> Ahem!  What about Commodore??  :-)

Heh... My brother had the Commodore.  I had the Atari, and my schools had
CrApple IIs. :^)

He used his C=64 for getting warez, it seemed.  I had almost no software for
my Atari, so I wrote most of it myself. :^)

<snip>
> Perl is perfect for this, except that Perl's error messages are so
> cryptic.

Uh... Perl _itself_ is kinda cryptic! :^/  I'd kinda hate to see a 6 year old
trying to grok Perl.  (Then again, if they did, watch out when they get older!)

<snip>
> .. you could do the graphics using Perl/Tk ...

Hrm.  Tk doesn't seem quite as 'fun' as SDL. ;^)  Not that I've played with
it much...

<snip>
> ... Perl/Tk programs run just fine under all those platforms without
> any changes ...

This is true. :^)

-bill!

--