[svlug] using linux in schools

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 31 10:26:24 PST 2003

on Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 01:01:55PM -0500, George Georgalis (georgw at galis.org) wrote:
> I'm working on a project that has potential to provide children (k-12)
> with hardware and good network connection at one site and be the
> center of an organized nation wide network.
>
> The technology should give them internet access and help them with
> their studies. A very general statement. What I am looking for is
> ideas to make this more than internet browser and word processor
> kiosks. I'd like to come up with something that really engages the
> students, draws them to interact, be productive and collaborate with
> others in the program.
>
> There is no specific curriculum that must be provided so I was
> wondering what your ideas are to attract kids to the idea of network
> computing? Many people reading this might say give them a shell and
> Pascal educational modules (or some other language); but this will
> only attract a small percentage of the kids.
>
> I would provide all the basic types of programs, write, draw, paint,
> www, email; but I was wondering what types of resources or environment
> would draw kids in to design a db or develop their networking and
> communication skills?

If you haven't already gone there, I'd suggest you look at SEUL-EDU, the
Simple end-user GNU/Linux education project.  There's a mailing list
which may be of more specific use to you associated with the project.

Informally, what I've heard of educational computer projects is that the
single biggest draw is the Internet itself.  Setting up a discussion
site a'la Slashdot or Kuro5hin might be a interesting project.

Peace.