[svlug] using linux in schools

George Georgalis georgw at galis.org
Mon Mar 31 10:01:55 PST 2003

I'm working on a project that has potential to provide children (k-12)
with hardware and good network connection at one site and be the center
of an organized nation wide network.

The technology should give them internet access and help them with their
studies. A very general statement. What I am looking for is ideas to
make this more than internet browser and word processor kiosks. I'd like
to come up with something that really engages the students, draws them
to interact, be productive and collaborate with others in the program.

There is no specific curriculum that must be provided so I was
wondering what your ideas are to attract kids to the idea of network
computing? Many people reading this might say give them a shell and
Pascal educational modules (or some other language); but this will only
attract a small percentage of the kids.

I would provide all the basic types of programs, write, draw, paint,
www, email; but I was wondering what types of resources or environment
would draw kids in to design a db or develop their networking and
communication skills?

// George

--
GEORGE GEORGALIS, System Admin/Architect    cell: 347-451-8229
Security Services, Web, Mail,            mailto:george at galis.org
Multimedia, DB, DNS and Metrics.       http://www.galis.org/george