[svlug] Two CD burners

Karl F. Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Wed Mar 26 04:54:31 PST 2003

	Hi Tim, I think I was using lilo last time I had both CD appear
as scsi devices.

On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, Tim wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:32:35PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > 	I have arrived with 2 CD read-write devices on my computer which
> > is running Red Hat 8. Using Grub I am able to make either one emulate a
> > scsi drive from a kernel pre load in Grub. But if I put in both hdc and
> > hdd only the first one is done.
>
> How exactly were you trying to do both?  I think I remember having
> append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" in my /etc/lilo.conf at some point,
> and it working fine.  As for grub.. your kernel line in
> /boot/grub/grub.conf might look something like this:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-27.7.x ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

	I tried this and it didn't work for some reason....

> > 	Seem to recall if you take a couple of modules out of the kernel
> > then you can have both CD drives appear to be scsi. This is important
> > because cdrecord software can only work with scsi drives.
>
> If ide-cd was built as a module, then you can use:
>
>   options ide-cd ignore='hdc hdd'

	I tried options ide-cd ignore=hdc  options ide-cd ignore=hdd but
it didn't seem to work. I will try your line and see if that works.

> in your /etc/modules.conf.  If you're going to rebuild your kernel, just
> include ide-scsi (and scsi_mod, sr_mod, sg, ...) and leave out ide-cd.

	In Red Hat you don't want to rebuild your kernel. At least I
don't want to. There are just too many things to remember.