[svlug] re: Newbie Question (Naveen Prabhu)

Paul Zander paulz at ieee.org
Tue Mar 25 22:59:50 PST 2003

I have installed Mandrake 8.1 on several PCs and was amazed at how well
it automatically partitioned the disk.  I suggest you start by
eliminating any old uneeded Windows files and then run a defragmentation
program so as to make a contiguous unused portion on the disk. I don't
know XP, but you could also look for a Windows utility to create a
separate partition for Linux.  Then the Linux install can further create
the several Linux partitions.

4 GBytes is a reasonable size for Linux.  You can get by with less.  If
you want to do everything imaginable, you will want more.

I hope this doesn't start an avalanche of opinions of  the smallest
possible Linux install. :-)