[svlug] Take 3: "Secrets of the Linux Developers Elite"...Action

David E. Fox dfox at m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com
Tue Mar 25 19:56:49 PST 2003

>     A significant benefit to voice messaging is the must listen
>     factor. This means that when an individual has four message

Most answering machines are still tape-based, and as such one has to
listen to N-1 messages all the way through to get to the Nth message
which might be an important one. My machine is digital and as such it
is more convenient to delete off unwanted messages. Because of
telemarketing most people don't even pick up the phone these days and
I've seen a large increase of addons like Privacy Manager and so
forth. IMHO it's a dead industry, or at least will be when the US
government finally makes it illegal.

>     seen. Not so with voice messaging: our reporting shows a built
>     in +/- 52% LTR (listen to rate).

Some years ago I heard of a survey that estimated 47% of junk mail is
thrown away unopened. It must be even higher for email or voice spam.