[svlug] Two CD burners

Tim tim at tetro.net
Tue Mar 25 18:04:21 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 25, 2003 at 03:32:35PM -0700, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	I have arrived with 2 CD read-write devices on my computer which
> is running Red Hat 8. Using Grub I am able to make either one emulate a
> scsi drive from a kernel pre load in Grub. But if I put in both hdc and
> hdd only the first one is done.

How exactly were you trying to do both?  I think I remember having
append="hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi" in my /etc/lilo.conf at some point,
and it working fine.  As for grub.. your kernel line in
/boot/grub/grub.conf might look something like this:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-27.7.x ro root=/dev/hda2 hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

> 	Seem to recall if you take a couple of modules out of the kernel
> then you can have both CD drives appear to be scsi. This is important
> because cdrecord software can only work with scsi drives.

If ide-cd was built as a module, then you can use:

  options ide-cd ignore='hdc hdd'

in your /etc/modules.conf.  If you're going to rebuild your kernel, just
include ide-scsi (and scsi_mod, sr_mod, sg, ...) and leave out ide-cd.

Hope that helps.

   - Tim