[svlug] Home Networking - I need help

Walter Reed wreed at hubinternet.com
Mon Mar 24 17:50:47 PST 2003

Robert Hajime Lanning said:
> On Sat, 22 Mar 2003, James Colannino wrote:
> > -a voice mail server for the phone to replace the answering machine,
> > allowing for extensions to be dialed along with the phone number (or
> > after the phone is reached) so that you don't require different phone
> > lines to reach different areas around the house depending on who you're
> > trying to reach.  This would also be physically connected via 100Mbps
> > ethernet link to the central server where all the voice messages would
> > be stored.  Or would it be better to store the messages locally on the
> > voice mail server and leave it disconnected from the rest of the network?
>
> I am getting a server put together to run Astrisk on.  <http://astrisk.org/>
> This is a free PBX software for Linux.  Its capabilities run the gambit,
> from Direct Inward Dial on trunk lines to VoiceMail and VoIP.

Software aside, the hardware is the problem. The only boards out there I
know of that do this kind of thing run on the order of $1K which is a
little silly since I can get a stand-alone mini 2x6 key system for ~$100
that has auto attendant, voice mail, music on hold, and many of the
other features of a full business phone system.

On the cheap, the telco side can be handled via a couple decent voice modems,
but the extension side I can only come up with something like Quicknet's
PhoneJack which is one slot per port (Stupid.) This is not a really
viable solution since you have to manually sling voice data around in
real-time. You Really need an all-in-one board that does the dirty work,
yet gives you access to call processing, etc.

You can check out:
http://www.voicetronix.com.au/hda.htm