[svlug] stress test hard drive?

Vince Duperron duperron at charter.net
Sun Mar 23 12:25:43 PST 2003

Hello;

I am looking for a disk stress test for linux.  Something like
diskperf and verifyDisk for Irix.  I have a laptop that appeared
to have a failing drive, so I replaced the drive and a few months
later that drive started to fail as well.  Is it the drive or the
laptop?  I plugged one of the failing drives into a workstation and
want to stress test it and look for bad blocks over an extended period
of time.  If the laptop is failing, I want to know before I waste any
more time with it.

Any suggestions?

Vince

PS.  The workstation the drive is plugged into is a basic RH7.3 install.