[svlug] cross-compiling on debian

Rick Schultz bloodyvikings at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 21 20:42:16 PST 2003

I'm trying to cross compile pcmcia-cs for alpha on an x86.  I've got a
working cross-compiler that I installed by hand.  I got dpkg-cross and
binutils-multiarch, and I get as far as this:

dpkg-shlibdeps `ls 2>/dev/null cardmgr/cardmgr cardmgr/cardctl \
  cardmgr/ifport cardmgr/waveinfo cardmgr/scsi_info cardmgr/probe \
    flash/ftl_format flash/ftl_check` -dSuggests `ls 2>/dev/null \
      cardmgr/cardinfo`
      dpkg: /usr/alpha-linux/lib/libc.so.6.1 not found.
      dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: dpkg --search gave error exit status 1
      make: *** [binary-cs] Error 1

Now, it seems to have compiled everything, but this step fails.

First, I tried symlinking my cross-compiler directory to
/usr/alpha-linux (which puts /usr/alpha-linux/lib/libc.so.6.1 in the
right place), but shlibdeps is trying to use dpkg to locate the file,
and since I did all this by hand, dpkg doesn't know anything about it.

I tried searching the packages, but no package's contents appear to
match alpha-linux at all (except some in the actual alpha distro).  Is
there a debian way to roll a cross-compiler that makes the above work?
Or did I do something else wrong?

thanks,
rick