[svlug] non-graphical documentation in man, texinfo, text, html, etc., formats

David N. Welton davidw at dedasys.com
Tue Mar 18 10:58:34 PST 2003

Don Marti <dmarti at zgp.org> writes:

> begin David N. Welton quotation of Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 10:41:41AM
> -0800:

> > If you want to be really complete, you can use DocBook for the
> > sources.  Because it's such an information-rich format.  Since you
> > describe what everything in your document is, not how it should
> > look, you can then transform that, via xslt, into a variety of
> > other formats.

> I'm planning to start using DocBook XML, and am looking for tool
> recommendations.  I don't need a WYSIWYG editor, but would be
> interested in finding an XML-aware spell checker and a diff-like
> utility that I could use to spot changes from version to version.

I'm pretty happy with Emacs' psgml mode.  It gives me pretty much
everything I need, short of wysiwyg.  Vim supposedly has some good
docbook stuff too (or so says a vim-using friend of mine doing some
writing for O'Reilly).  Don't know about the diff utility (beyond diff
itself).  Google turns up this:

http://nwalsh.com/java/diffmk/

--
David N. Welton