[svlug] Monochrome VGA LCD display -- or 80x24 - 80x60 text?

Karsten M. Self kmself at ix.netcom.com
Mon Mar 17 17:41:40 PST 2003

I'm looking for a display to use in mobile computing.  Text-only is
sufficient, VGA would simplify much.  Alternatively, a recommendation
for a handheld device (Psion?) to use as a dumb terminal would be
useful.

Desired characteristics:

   - Low power requirements.  9 volt or better preferred.

   - Standard VGA connection, _or_ serial terminal, _or_ other standard
     port (e.g.:  USB, Firewire, etc.).

   - VGA (640x480) graphical display, monochrome perfectly acceptable,
     or text capable of at least 80x24 (though 80x{40,50,60} greatly
     preferred).

   - Dimensions:  8.5" x 5.5" to 6" x 4" (approximate) preferred.

   - Finishing:  Should be amenable to, e.g.:  laptop use, small table,
     being affixed to a case of sorts, velcroing to a fabric seatback.
     Some form of case or enclosure for transport very much preferred.

   - Cost:  ~$100 would be great, < $400 preferred (I can get a small
     10" TFT color display for this much).

I've tried Googling for similar types of stuff, I don't think this is a
common consumer item.  I suspect that cannabalizing some existing device
(such as the afformentioned Psion) might be the best way to satisfy this
need.

The goal is to have a minimalist, but useful, interface to use with one
of the CappuccinoPC models:  http://www.cappuccinopc.com/.  I'd rather
not lug a VGA around with me.  But a smallish text-only display would
work well.

Peace.

   Support the EFF, they support you:  http://www.eff.org/