[svlug] help: /var/lib/dpkg/status file broken (fixed)

Walter G. da Cruz wdacruz at pacbell.net
Sun Mar 16 23:30:40 PST 2003

Tim:

	Thank you for your advice!  That fixed the problem.  The
/var/lib/dpkg/status.old was also corrupted, but one of the files in
/var/backups/dpkg.* from last week was good.
	You saved me 3-4 days of work reinstalling the OS and 5-6 GB of
programs/data from personal backups :-)

Again, thank you for your help,

			Walter

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 06:23:29PM -0800, Walter G. da Cruz wrote:
>
>>Reading Package Lists... Error!
>>E: Unable to parse package file /var/lib/dpkg/status (1)
>>E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
>>
>>update available list script returned error exit status 1.
>

> There is a backup in /var/lib/dpkg/status-old, and some older backups in
> /var/backups/dpkg.status.*.  It's just a text file, so if there was some
> corruption, maybe you could find it by visual inspection or doing some
> diff's.  Or you could even revert to an older version.. though I don't
> know exactly what the consequences of doing that might be.  I guess
> you'd just lose the installed state of some packages.  If you can figure
> out which ones, maybe just reinstall them.
>
> Maybe you should wait for a responce from someone with more Debian
> experience than I.
>
>    - Tim

"Do the best you can in every task, no matter | (408)294-4750
   how unimportant it may seem at the time. No | wdacruz at pacbell.net
      one learns more about a problem than the | http://www.wdacruz.com
   person at the bottom." -Sandra Day O'Connor |