[svlug] A Little Hackie for wget?

Stephen R. Savitzky steve at theStarport.org
Sun Mar 16 14:49:10 PST 2003

Serban Giuroiu <gyzmobro at yahoo.com> writes:

> Does anyone know if it would be possible to set up
> wget to download different parts of a file from
> multiple locations and then put them together so that
> I could get a download done faster?

HTTP 1.1 has a "Range:" header that allows one to retrieve a range of
bytes.  As far as I know wget doesn't have any hooks for it.

There may be a more fundamental problem, though: in almost all cases
your download speed is limited by your own bandwidth.  As long as the
site you're downloading from is faster than your net connection, there's
nothing to be gained from splitting up the request.

--
 /   Steve Savitzky   \  rw-rw-rw- : the file permissions of the beast   \
/ <steve at theStarport.org>      http://theStarport.com/people/steve/       \