[svlug] A Little Hackie for wget?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Mar 16 13:13:12 PST 2003

On Sun, 16 Mar 2003 10:08:37 -0800 (PST)
Serban Giuroiu <gyzmobro at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know if it would be possible to set up wget to download
> different parts of a file from multiple locations and then put them
> together so that I could get a download done faster?

In the general case/sense, no, as neither FTP or HTTP have protocol
support for segment specification or retrieval.

Note however that if you are attempting to retrieve CD images that this
is precisely what Debian does via its jigdo toolcian:

  http://home.in.tum.de/~atterer/jigdo/
  http://www.dirac.org/linux/debian/jigdo/

--
J C Lawrence