[svlug] colocation: advice needed

Nate Campi nate at campin.net
Tue Mar 11 18:46:31 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 06:31:40PM -0500, N. Thomas wrote:
> In a month or so, I might have to set up a machine to be colocated.
> Having never done this before (colocation that is, not setting up a
> machine), I'd like to ask for some advice here.

There is a smaller colocation facility in Oakland called InReach, and
they're about the best deal I've found anywhere.
http://www.inreach.com/services/colocation/index.html

Last I checked you could get a quarter rack with a 10 megabit switched
uplink for under $300/month.

If you want any management (a firewall in front of your box, someone to
go in and cycle the box, admin services, whatever) or a smaller amount
of space than a quarter rack you'll need to go with a reseller there
like www.megahosted.com.

Disclaimer: I get space for my own linux server in there from
megahosted, but I wouldn't recommend it unless I thought it was a good
fit for you and I was happy with the facility.
--
Nate Campi    http://www.campin.net