[svlug] Proper disposal of defunt CRTs

William R Ward bill at wards.net
Tue Mar 11 15:43:05 PST 2003

Randy J. Ray writes:
>I have a monitor that died on me a while back, and I need to get rid
>of it.  But I know that just tossing it in the dumpster is not the
>right way to do it.  Can someone point me to the proper drop-off
>points or whatnot for defunt hardware?

Randy,

Surplus Computers (formerly Software & Stuff) takes old computers.
They have periodic "sidewalk sale" type events and whatever doesn't
sell they recycle.  Someone else mentioned WeirdStuff; same kind of
thing.  They might not take it if it is obviously fried (did you let
tme smoke out?) though.

Recyclers typically charge $5-20 for items that are old and/or
unusable.  But if you can drop it off at a [Ss]urplus [Cc]omputer
store you won't have to pay anything.

--Bill.