[svlug] accessing VGA memory as RAM?

Ira Abramov lists-svlug at ira.abramov.org
Sun Mar 9 11:00:40 PST 2003

howdie!

I am looking for a way to stress-test PMC slots (C-PCI name for a PCI
card, as indeed it is viewed by the linux kernel). we have spare VGA
cards and though it should be simple enough to write a simple proggy to
blast reads and writes to the VGA memory. some pattern checks and such.
can I use the VGA RAM as regular RAM somehow? or do I need SVGAlib for
this? what is the most efficiant/easy way for writing then reading
several megabytes like that?

--
Readers' choice
Ira Abramov

http://ira.abramov.org/email/ This post is encrypted twice with ROT-13.
Documenting or attempting to crack this encryption is illegal.