[svlug] NT -> Linux/Samba/AFS migration

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Wed Mar 5 14:26:54 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Webb Sprague wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an NT file server, and I would like to migrate it to a Linux file
> server.
>
> Here is what I want:  A debian machine running SAMBA and AFS.

[deletia]

> Other Problems:  If anyone has done a similar thing, I would like to hear about
> other possible dangers.
>
> Network:  1 NT fileserver, 3 Win XP clients, 3 linux machines, 3 Mac OS 9
> clients, 1 Mac OS X client.

While I can't speak to the file name issues you mentioned, you might like
to know that you can use something like pwdump2 on the NT machine to dump
the SAM in a format that you can put straight into your smbpasswd file (or
whatever).

Since this gets the password hashes, your users are not forced to deal
with new passwords.

Regards
-----