[svlug] NT -> Linux/Samba/AFS migration

Webb Sprague wsprague100 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 5 12:47:35 PST 2003

Hi all,

I have an NT file server, and I would like to migrate it to a Linux file
server.

Here is what I want:  A debian machine running SAMBA and AFS.

Main Problem: most of the clients are Macs and the users have been using lots
of slashes in their filenames.  I need to change the names en masse, without
losing the silly resource fork thing.  I can scp the file tree over (by booting
the NT server with Knoppix and mounting the NTFS filesystem with utfs option),
but I can't figure out a way to deal with the strange, unprintable filenames
that result.

Other Problems:  If anyone has done a similar thing, I would like to hear about
other possible dangers.

Network:  1 NT fileserver, 3 Win XP clients, 3 linux machines, 3 Mac OS 9
clients, 1 Mac OS X client.

I know this isn't a big endeavour, but I would like it to go as smoothly as
possible.  I also hate to ask such an open-ended question, but I figure there
is a chance that someone here as done this exact thing (basically) in the past
couple of years.

Thanks in advance.