[svlug] new type of spam?

Walter Reed wreed at hubinternet.com
Wed Mar 5 06:12:14 PST 2003

This one time, at band camp, Florin Andrei said:
> Hey, is this a new type of spam, or what?
<snipped>

My "guess" is that you are being crawled by a spammer(s) looking for
email addresses on your web pages. They are probably trying to be cute.

One option some webmasters are doing is to use robots.txt, and when
crawlers IGNORE it, they will crawl into hidden links that users would
never go to, and end up in a tarpit, or in a page with lots of bogus
email addresses such as webmaster at doj.gov :-).

While I would never suggest that anyone do the following as the legality
is dubious, but I suppose that one could consider crawling in
unauthorized areas as an attack. Some "experts" have claimed that you
have the right to retaliate against computers that are attacking you,
and perform operations against those computers to stop the attack on
your system. Kind of a self defense argument.

Again, this is probably something you should not do for legal reasons,
but technically it's possible, and morally some think it's OK.